|Welcome to the Canton Audubon Society!
Our bird feeder cleaning on April 5th at The Wildlife Garden was a success. We had 45 feeders with $200 in donations (the $3 per feeder included.) We plan to do another fundraiser in the fall. See you then!
Scholarship Winner Announced!
Congratulations to Shelby Kaplan.
More about Shelby HERE.
Become a chapter supporter by becoming a member of CAS. For more information click here.
Program Meeting schedule HERE
Field Trip schedule HERE
Mar/Apr Newsletter HERE
All are welcome!
Our Monthly Bird Walks have begun again! Join us at 5:30pm before our monthly program for a bird walk with CAS members and visitors.
|CAS Upcoming Events
- Tuesday, April 22nd, 5:30pm – Join us for our annual Earth Day Walk with CAS President, Alan Dolan, at Jackson Bog State Nature Preserve in Massillon.
- Wednesday, May 21st, 5:30pm – May Bird Walk. This is our last pre-meeting bird walk for the summer. They will resume in September. This should be a great walk with all the spring activity.
- Wednesday, May 21st, 7:00pm – Cheryl Harner will present “Butterflies as Bio-indicators: If Your Butterflies Could Speak.” This will be our last seasonal meeting, as we break from June through August. See you there!
- NestWatch - Now through breeding season. This is a nationwide monitoring program designed to track status and trends in reproductive biology of birds, including when nesting occurs, number of eggs laid,how many eggs hatch and how many hatchlings survive. Anyone can contribute, so it is great for the whole family. Volunteers become a certified NestWatcher by following directions on the website. Once a nest is found, visit every 3-4 days and record what you see. This data helps scientists track breeding bird populations and how they may be changing as a result of climate change, habitat degradation and more. Link
All are welcome to all our events!
We provide a public program the third Wednesday of every month (Sep-May) at 7:00pm. Programs are at Exploration Gateway (Stark Parks’ Facility at Sippo Lake) 5712 12th Street NW, Canton 44708
|Other Local Birding Events
- Saturday, April 19th, 7:30pm-9pm - Woodcock Watch with Stark Parks. Link
- Saturday, April 19th, 8-10am – April Songbirds with CVNP. Search for early nesting yellow-throated warblers. Link
- Tuesday, April 22nd, All Earth Day – Eat at Chipotle to Support Stark Parks. 50% of the sales will be donated to Friends of Stark Parks. All Chipotle restaurants in Stark County.
- Saturday, April 26th, 1:00 – 2:30pm - Wildflower Walk. There are bound to be some birds, too! Link
- Saturday, April 26th, 730am - Saturday Morning Bird Walk with Stark Parks. Link
SMP: Summit Metro Parks
CVNP: Cuyahoga Valley National Park
TWC: The Wilderness Center
CMP: Cleveland Metroparks
|In The News
|New Nature Conservancy Nature Preserve to be in Ottawa County. Link
Great Lakes Plagued by Tiny Plastic Beads. Link
Ohio to Establish more than 28,000 Acres of Pheasant Habitat. Link
Ohio Wildlife Council Approves Early Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seasons. Link
Five Types of Birds Your Grandchildren May Never See But Wish They Could. Link
How the Fracking Industry Avoids Paying Royalties to Landowners. Link
Puerto Rico Permanently Protects 3,000 acres of its Northeast Ecological Corridor. Link
ODNR Ends Contract That Would Threaten Columbus-Based Sawmill Wetlands. Link
Biologists Estimate Over 20 Black Bears Sighted In Northeast Ohio During 2012. Link
Leatherback Sea Turtle Could Be Extinct in 20 years. Link
Assault on Public Lands Passes House. Link
Ohio Senate Approves Legislation To Gag Doctors From Sharing Fracking Chemical Exposure. Link
Hawaii Bans Plastic Bags. Link
Ohio Earthquake Likely Caused by Fracking. Link
Western Black Rhino Declared Extinct. Link
From The Nature Conservancy “Nature’s 10 Greatest Comebacks” (hint… there’s one in Ohio!) Link
KSU Stark Pond/Wetland recognized as an official Certified Wildlife Habitat site by National Wildlife Federation. Link